The Amarillo Municipal Court announces Virtual Court!
This new service allows defendants to resolve eligible cases remotely in the comfort of their own homes or offices through a video conference with the judge and prosecutor.
Defendants participating in virtual court hearings will have the same legal rights as those that appear in person without the requirement of waiting in line or returning to the Court for a scheduled docket.
Beginning June 1, 2020, the court will offer six court sessions daily: Monday through Friday. Three daily sessions will be virtual and three will be in-person. The in-person court sessions will allow Defendants who may not have the ability to participate in a virtual hearing to access the court.
Beginning July 1, 2020, in-person hearings will be scheduled for Defendants who do not have access to Zoom, the videoconferencing platform utilized by this court, Defendants whose identities cannot be confirmed, and Defendants charged with committing criminal (non-traffic) offenses.
The Court is working to reschedule all defendants who were previously set for a hearing but the Court’s closure to the public prevented their appearance. Virtual court will allow quick access to the Court. For those requiring an in-person session, please refer to the In-Person Court Sessions tab on the left.
Virtual Court Times
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM; 11:00 AM & 4:00 PM
In Person Walk-in Court Times - Courtroom 1
Monday - Friday
10:00 AM; 1:00 PM & 3:00 PM
Report to cashier's window before entering courtroom at least 30 minutes before court session begins
The Amarillo Municipal Court has enacted an operating plan pursuant to the directives of the Texas State Office of the Court Administrator (TX OCA). The complete operating plan may be accessed under the Covid tab. To promote the safety of all entering the Courthouse as directed by the TX OCA, all members of the public will be required to pass a screening. The screening will occur prior to entering the building. The screening process shall include the following:
- When individuals attempt to enter the court building, a court bailiff or other trained city employee will ask the individuals if they are feeling feverish; have a cough, shortness of breath, or difficulty breathing chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, loss of taste or smell, diarrhea, or have been in close contact with a person who is confirmed to have COVID-19. Individuals who indicate “yes” to any of these questions will be refused admittance to the court building and will be rescheduled for hearing at a later date.
- When an individual attempts to enter the court building, a court bailiff or other trained city employee will use a no-contact, infrared thermometer to determine the temperature of the individual. Individuals whose temperature equals or exceeds 100.0ºF will be refused admittance to the court building and will be rescheduled for hearing at a later date.
- Any person who declines to participate in the screening process will be asked to reschedule. Any person that does not pass the screening process will be asked to reschedule. Please remember the virtual court option is available. Those individuals asked to reschedule must contact the Court immediately at (806)378-3072 to reschedule an virtual court hearing or another Live Appearance. It is the obligation of the Defendant to reschedule the court appearance in a timely manner.
- As part of Court’s operating plan, we ask that only defendants with business before the Court are permitted entrance. Please leave your family at home during this time as we are limiting the number of people inside the building to promote social distancing. We appreciate your cooperation.
*Please refer to the In-Person Court Sessions tab for additional information
Municipal Court Hours:
- 8 am - 5 pm Monday-Friday
Municipal Court Information:
- Physical address: 201 SE Fourth Avenue, Amarillo, TX 79105-1366
- Mailing address: PO Box 1366 Amarillo, TX 79105
- Phone: 806-378-3072
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org