For up-to-date information about the Coronavirus in the Amarillo area, please visit


Utility Billing FAQS

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

For commonly asked questions regarding the new online payment system, your utility bill, or drainage utility, click the respective button below.

  • Q. I'm looking for my new account number.
    • A. Your account number and customer number can be obtained from your new billing statement. Your account number is the seven digits to the left of the dash, and your customer number is the eight digits to the right of the dash.
  • Q. How can I view and pay my bill online?
    • A. Our previous websites will no longer be accessible after February 18, 2019. We have a new Citizen Self Service that you can enroll in. If you do not have web access at home, each of the City's libraries will have computer terminals that you may utilize during their business hours. You may also come into our office.
  • Q. What will I need to pay my bill online?
    • A. You will need your seven digit account number as well as your customer identification number located on your bill. (Ex: 1234567-00001234)
  • Q. Can I have my bill emailed to me?
    • A. Yes, you can call our Customer Service department at 806-378-3030 with your email address, and we can get that set up for you.
  • Q. I have bills for multiple properties. Can I make one payment online instead of multiple payments?
    • A. Yes, our Citizen Self Service online portal will allow you to connect multiple accounts and make one payment instead of individual ones.
  • Q. How can I set up automatic payments?
    • A. If you want to use a debit or credit card, you must enroll online through our Citizen Self Service portal. If you want to use a checking or savings account, we require a voided check or letter from the bank that includes the bank account number and routing number, as well as a Draft Authorization Form. The information must be brought to our office located at 601 S Buchanan St, Room 102, or mailed in to PO Box 100, Amarillo TX 79105-0100.
  • Q. If I signed up for direct debit from the water dept, will that still be effective in the new system?
    • A. Yes. Any customer that has an existing direct debit with the Utility Billing department will be carried over into the new system. As stated previously, if you set up an online account through another online system, you will have to re-enroll into Citizen Self Service.
  • Q. Can I pay my bill at a pay station?
    • A. Yes, you are able to pay at the following Western Union locations: United Supermarkets, Fiesta Foods, Taylor Furniture, and Mr. Payroll located inside select Toot'n Totum stores.
  • Q. Am I able to set up payment arrangements?
  • Q. What date will the auto draft in the old online systems stop drafting?
    • A. The Utility Billing software update begins February 18, 2019. After this date, all accounts through other online systems will no longer be valid. Customers will need to re-enroll for auto-draft through Citizen Self Service.
  • Q. Do I need to do anything to stop the auto drafts in the other systems or will they just stop with the go live?
    • A. On February 18, 2019, the Utility Billing department will no longer provide services through online systems such as Bill Trust, Online payment, or One-time Payment system. You may log into these accounts and delete auto-draft functions that may be set up to avoid any sort of erroneous drafts by these third-party systems.
  • Q. What is a drainage fee?
    • A. The drainage fee is a fee assessed to all property owners that allow the City to maintain all systems that convey rainwater to playa lakes or receiving streams. Some examples would be the curb & gutters, storm sewer pipes, drainage ditches, inlet boxes, playa lakes, street sweeping, and playa lake pumps.
  • Q. Can the drainage bill be attached to my utility (water) bill?
    • A. As long as you are the owner of the benefitted property, the drainage service can be attached to a utility bill.
  • Q. Who is responsible for the drainage fee?
    • A. The owner of the benefitted property.
  • Q. Where does the impervious square footage calculation come from?
    • A. The impervious square footage calculation comes from PRAD (Potter-Randall Appraisal District). This includes roof tops, driveways, concrete pads, small out buildings, and any area that water cannot soak into the ground naturally.
  • Q. What if I think I am being over charged?
    • A. We have a form called The Request to Adjust Drainage Fee that we can either email, fax, or mail to you. You can fill out and return the completed form to us, and someone will call you and make an appointment to meet with you at the property and take new measurements.
  • Q. I have several rental properties and would like to be able to pay all the drainage bills at one time. Do I have the ability to do that?
    • A. If the bills are drainage fees only, the customer can pay as much as they like toward the estimated annual balance.
  • Q. If I choose, can I get my bills monthly, quarterly, or yearly?
    • A. At this time, your bills will be calculated monthly. If you choose to pay in the online customer portal, you can pay as much as you would like toward the estimated annual balance.
  • Q. Can I turn off the drainage fee if I do not occupy the property?
    • A. Unfortunately, the drainage service cannot be turned off, regardless of if you are occupying a property. Storm water still leaves the property.
  • Q. Who is exempt from the drainage fee?
    • A.
      1. property with proper construction and maintenance of a wholly sufficient and privately owned drainage system;
      2. property held and maintained in its natural state, until such time that the property is developed and all of the public infrastructure constructed has been accepted by the municipality in which the property is located for maintenance;
      3. a subdivided lot, until a structure has been built on the parcel and a Certificate of Occupancy has been issued by the City;
      4. state agencies;
      5. public or private institutions of higher education.