Alley sealing is the City's primary preventative maintenance program for paved alleys. Scheduled preventative maintenance helps prolong the life of the paved alleys by protecting the surface from the effects of aging, cracking, deterioration, and water infiltration. Additionally, prolonging the life of our paved alleys saves time and taxpayer money by intervening before full reconstruction is needed.
- Commonly referred to as a "fog seal"
- Liquid asphalt sealant material is sprayed onto the existing alley surface
- Sealing operation will require alley to be closed to all traffic for approx. 4 hours
- Paved alleys throughout the City are sealed on a 6 year cycle
- Typically performed in April, May, September, and October
- 2019 Cost = $26,436 per mile
REPORT A PROBLEM
To report a problem or request additional information regarding the Alley Sealing process, please contact the Street Division at 378-6815