The Barrio Arts Project will capture the history of the Amarillo barrio neighborhood through art and story. The Barrio has a rich history that many do not know about. By exploring the history through art, we will not only inspire the mind, we will also touch hearts. Proceeds from the project benefit the Barrio Neighborhood Projects.
Artists of all mediums are invited to tell the stories that made the Barrio what it is today. Mediums are not limited to photography or painting. Feel free to go 3-D. Or channel your inner poet or video production. The possibilities are limitless, but the size is not. So please keep your creations under 60”. The Barrio Arts Project will keep 50% of the proceeds from the sale of the art to support the Barrio Neighborhood Plan Artists keep 50%. In addition, there are cash prizes available!
Creation of art is happening NOW! We are pushing out locations and stories on a steady basis on our Facebook page: Let’s Art Amarillo: The Barrio Project. Entries are due December 21, 2019 for the show to be held at the Wesley Community Center from January 16-18.
Here is a list of people and locations for creations. The stories are in the works, but feel free to start your art.
- Annie’s Drive In/Abe and Annie Garcia: 304 East 9th
- Cuellar Grocery and Tortilla Factory, Maria Magdalena Martinez, 1401 S. Arthur
- East Park, 700 S. Ross
- El Alamo Park, 1621 S. Houston
- El Ballet Folklórico/Glenwood Dancers
- Famous Heights Park
- Glenwood Electric Park
- Llano Cemetery, 2900 S. Hayes
- Joel Maldonado, radio DJ
- Mateo Lopez
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church, 1210 SE 11th
- Pete’s Paving/Pete Mendez
- Tony Renteria, La Voz Del Barrio
- Sanborn Elementary School, 700 S Roberts
- Santa Fe Depot
- Betty Solis
- Star Machine and Foundry Company (Globe Foundry), 100 S. Ross
- Tenth Avenue Methodist Church (Now – Power Church), 1016 S. Roberts
- Wesley Community Center (original house)
Find more information by “liking” us on Facebook: Let’s Art Amarillo: The Barrio Project.
- View Rules
- Complete entry form
- Please send us pictures of your works in progress, as well as your final pieces prior to officially entering. Send those to email@example.com.
The Barrio Project Show and Sale will be held at the Wesley Community Center from January 16-18. All artwork is for sale. Artists may keep 50% of the proceeds when their works sell! We will have prize money (pending sponsorship) as well for the following categories:
|Best of Show||$500|
|Best Mixed Media
|4 Student Scholarships
|Best School Body of Work||$500|