FRONT SIDE OF DOOR HANGER
One day next week, weather permitting, your street will be resurfaced as part of the City’s regular preventative maintenance program. Sealcoating is a process that has been utilized by the City of Amarillo for well over thirty years, and has proven to be a very efficient and cost effective method of maintaining streets. Once every eight to ten years, each residential street is sealcoated to seal the existing asphalt surface against the intrusion of water and to provide a new wear surface.
The sealcoating process consists of an application of hot liquid asphalt followed by a layer of small rock which is compacted into the street’s surface. The asphalt must be allowed to stiffen before any sweeping can begin. Therefore, pending availability of sweeping equipment, the loose rock will be swept to the gutter the day after initial application. One week later, a street sweeper will begin sweeping up any excess rock and will continue to sweep the rock on a regular basis until all the loose rock is removed from the street and gutter.
In past years, various problems have arisen due to the rock not adhering adequately to the street surface. Therefore, the rock is pre-coated with asphalt to improve the rock’s adherence to the street’s surface and enhance the overall effectiveness of the sealcoat operation. Pre-coated sealcoat rock may stick to the bottom of shoes and car tires after initial application to the street. However, as the asphalt material cures, the stickiness of the rock will soon diminish.
With your cooperation this resurfacing can be completed quickly and safely. We will do whatever possible to minimize any inconvenience. For further details or information call the City Street Department at 378-6815.
SPECIAL POINTS TO REMEMBER ON THE BACK
BACK SIDE OF DOOR HANGER
POINTS TO REMEMBER
- The sealcoating operation will require your street to be closed to traffic for a period of approximately two hours.
- Please observe all flagman’s directions.
- You will not be able to drive on the new surface until crews have re-opened the street to traffic.
- Drive SLOWLY on the new surface, until the loose rock has been removed.
- All parked vehicles should be removed from street.
- Any tree limbs or shrubbery overhanging the street should be properly trimmed, by the property owner, up to 14.5 feet per Municipal Code No. 4-6-185 prior to the start of work.
- As with any construction operation, the hot asphalt and heavy equipment can be dangerous. Please monitor all children and pets closely around the sealcoating operation.
- For special events, moving, garage sales, etc, contact our road crew onsite or call the street Office at 378-6815 for assistance.
- The Street Department fully understands that resurfacing your street will be an inconvenience. We will do whatever possible to minimize any inconvenience.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION