School Zone Safety Is Everyone’s Responsibility
Every school experiences traffic problems associated with its operation. These problems are not only aggravating to drivers, but they create an unsafe environment for school children.
It is important for drivers in or near school areas to be especially sensitive to traffic laws and constantly alert for the presence of children. Since school traffic may be congested and confusing, drivers must exercise more caution.
Following the DO’S of school-zone traffic safety will help:
- Be aware of established 20 mile-per-hour school zones. Unless otherwise posted, these zones are effective school days only between 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- Plan ahead. Allow enough time to pick up children at a pre-designated location. Speeding and unsafe driving endanger everyone.
- Park correctly. Double parking and parking in crosswalks are both prohibited.
- Leave school bus zones vacant and bus accessible.
Watch for children in or near the street.
- Let children out of vehicles on the curb side only.
Encourage children to use established crosswalks.
The safety and well-being of our children depends on the reasonable and prudent driving habits of everyone in school zones. Please be careful to obey all traffic laws in these areas.
If you have any questions regarding school zone safety or material presented above, please call the Traffic Engineering Department at (806)378-6294 or by email. You may also visit the Department offices located in Room 204 of City Hall at 509 E. 7th Avenue. You may also write to us at City of Amarillo, PO Box 1971, Amarillo, TX 79105-1971.
A Public Awareness Program