Amarillo History Timeline

Time Line History


1887 FORT WORTH-DENVER CITY RAILROAD WAS CONSTRUCTED ACROSS THE TEXAS PANHANDLE.
1887 A RAILROAD CONSTRUCTION CAMP ON AMARILLO CREEK GREW INTO A SMALL TENT CITY NAMED RAGTOWN.
1887 IN APRIL, J.T. BERRY PLATTED A TOWNSITE AND NAMED IT ONIEDA.
1887 IN JUNE, THE TUCK CORNELIUS FAMILY ARRIVED TO SETTLE IN THE NEW TOWN.
1887 IN AUGUST, ONIEDA WAS VOTED THE COUNTY SEAT OF POTTER COUNTY AND RENAMED AMARILLO.
1887 FREIGHT SERVICES WERE ESTABLISHED BY THE RAILROAD MAKING AMARILLO A MAJOR CATTLE SHIPPING CENTER.
1887 IN NOVEMBER, THE FIRST POST OFFICE WAS ESTABLISHED AND ROBERT M. MOORE WAS THE FIRST POSTMASTER.
1887 NANCY CORNELIUS, WIFE OF MR. S. CORNELIUS, WAS THE FIRST RECORDED DEATH IN AMARILLO.
1888 THE METHODISTS ORGANIZED THE FIRST CHURCH.
1888 THE FIRST DISTRICT COURT WAS ESTABLISHED.
1888 THE FIRST DANCE, A “GRAND BALL”, CELEBRATED THE OPENING OF THE NEW COURTHOUSE.
1888 AMARILLO CITIZENS ESTABLISHED THE FIRST SCHOOL IN THE COURTHOUSE.
1888 MAYVI AMARILLO CORNELIUS WAS THE FIRST RECORDED CHILD BORN IN AMARILLO.
1889 HENRY SANBORN, CALLED THE “FATHER OF AMARILLO” PLATTED A NEW AMARILLO SITE.
1889 MOST OF AMARILLO MOVED ONE MILE EAST TO THE NEW GLIDDEN SANBORN ADDITION.
1889 PANHANDLE LOAN ASSOCIATION WAS FOUNDED BY GLIDDON AND SANBORN.
1889 FIRST HOTEL, THE AMARILLO HOTEL, WAS BUILT BY HENRY SANBORN.
1889 FIRST NATIONAL BANK WAS THE FIRST BANK TO RECEIVE A CHARTER.
1889 AMARILLO PUBLIC WAS ESTABLISHED AT 800 S. HARRISON STREET.
1889 FIRST WAGON YARD ESTABLISHED BY EDWARD TRIGG AND JOHN MILLER.
1890 FIRST CITY PARK WAS PLATTED; LATER NAMED ELLWOOD.
1890 POPULATION 482
1890 AMARILLO HAD 14 SALOONS AND 11 GAMBLING HOUSES.
1890 THE RED BRICK SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 1700 S. POLK STREET AS THE CITY’S SECOND PUBLIC SCHOOL.
1890 BUSINESS BOOM BEGAN WITH 20 NEW ESTABLISHMENTS IN TWO YEARS.
1891 THE “INDIAN SCARE”, A FALSE NEWS REPORT OF HOSTILE NATIVES CAUSED GREAT NUMBERS OF PANHANDLE SETTLERS TO SEEK REFUGE IN AMARILLO.
1892 AMARILLO NATIONAL BANK FOUNDED.
1892 AMARILLO INCORPORATED.
1892 WARREN WETSEL ELECTED AS FIRST MAYOR.
1892 POPULATION 674
1892 AMARILLO CITY LIMITS WAS ONE SQUARE MILE.
1892 J.A. WILLIAMS WAS THE FIRST CITY MARSHALL.
1892 AMARILLO NATIONAL BANK WAS FOUNDED.
1894 AMARILLO HIGH SCHOOL HELD ITS FIRST GRADUATION.
1896 THE FIRST TELEPHONE SYSTEM WAS ESTABLISHED BY WAYNE C. WRIGHT.
1897 WHITE AND KIRK DEPARTMENT STORE WAS ESTABLISHED.
1897 POPULATION 1154.
1897 AMARILLO HOOK AND LADDER COMPANY WAS FORMED.
1898 PECOS VALLEY RAILROAD WAS BUILT INTO AMARILLO.
1898 UNION STATION WAS BUILT.
1898 RAILROADS AND FREIGHT ROADS ESTABLISHED AMARILLO AS A MAJOR TRANSPORTATION CENTER.
1899 AMARILLO-PANHANDLE FAIR AND LIVESTOCK ASSOCIATION WAS ORGANIZED.
1899 SANTA FE RAILROAD WAS BUILT INTO AMARILLO.
1900 ST. ANTHONY’S SANITARIUM WAS FOUNDED.
1900 POPULATION 1442.
1900 BOND ISSUE PASSED TO BUILD A CITY HALL.
1901 A FIRE DESTROYED ONE-FOURTH OF DOWNTOWN.
1902 ST. ANTHONY’S HOSPITAL WAS ESTABLISHED.
1902 AMARILLO ELECTRIC POWER AND LIGHT COMPANY WAS ORGANIZED.
1903 THE ROCK ISLAND RAILROAD ARRIVED.
1904 AMARILLO HARDWARE COMPANY WAS FOUNDED.
1905 WESTERN STOCKYARDS CORPORATION WAS ESTABLISHED.
1905 BUSHLAND SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT THIRD & WELLS IN WESTERN COUNTY.
1906 AMARILLO GAS COMPANY WAS FORMED.
1906 JOHNSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 500 S. JOHNSON STREET.
1906 BLACKBURN BROTHERS CLOTHING STORE OPENED FOR BUSINESS.
1907 AMARILLO CELEBRATED THE OPENING OF THE GRAND OPERA HOUSE.
1908 AMARILLO CHAMBER OF COMMERCE WAS ORGANIZED.
1910 AMARILLO PUBLIC LIBRARY WAS FOUNDED BY THE JUG (JUST US GIRLS) CLUB.
1910 ELIZABETH NIXSON JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 1300 S. POLK STREET.
1910 HORACE MANN JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 600 N. BUCHANAN STREET ON THE SITE TO THE OLD NORTH SIDE SCHOOL.
1910 POPULATION 9957
1910 WEST TEXAS STATE NORMAL SCHOOL ESTABLISHED IN NEARBY CANYON, TEXAS.
1912 PANHANDLE TELEPHONE AND TELEGRAPH WAS PURCHASED BY SOUTHWESTERN BELL TELEPHONE.
1912 PANHANDLE PACKING COMPANY OPENED A PLANT IN AMARILLO.
1913 NORTHWEST TEXAS HOSPITAL WAS FOUNDED.
1913 ST. MARY’S ACADEMY WAS ESTABLISHED AS THE FIRST PAROCHIAL SCHOOL.
1916 SANBORN PARK WAS ESTABLISHED AT S.E. 14TH & FILLMORE
1917 FIRST TEXAS CALVARY, AMARILLO TROOP B., WAS CALLED TO ACTION IN WORLD WAR I.
1917 AMARILLO OIL COMPANY WAS FORMED.
1917 AMERICAN RED CROSS WAS ORGANIZED.
1917 WILSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 1700 S. TAYLOR STREET.
1917 McKINLEY ELEMENTARY WAS ESTABLISHED AT 700 S. ADAMS STREET.
1918 NATURAL GAS WAS DISCOVERED IN POTTER CO.
1918 AMARILLO WAS ESTABLISHED AS A STOP ON MAJOR U.S. AIR ROUTES.
1919 AMERICAN LEGION WAS FOUNDED.
1920 POPULATION 15,494
1920 J.C. PENNEY OPENED A STORE HERE.
1920 PANHANDLE PIPELINE COMPANY BUILT THE FIRST PIPELINE INTO AMARILLO.
1921 THE BASE FOR THE AMARILLO ECONOMY WAS TRANSPORTATION, CATTLE, AND GRAIN.
1921 GLENWOOD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 2400 S. MIRROR STREET.
1921 ROUTE 66 WAS BUILT THROUGH AMARILLO.
1922 TRI-STATE FAIR WAS INAUGURATED.
1922 AMARILLO’S FIRST RADIO STATION, WDAG, WAS ON THE AIR.
1922 SANBORN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 700 S. ROBERTS STREET.
1922 WILL ROGERS PARK WAS ESTABLISHED AT AMARILLO BLVD. & BUCHANAN STREET.
1922 EAST PARK WAS ESTABLISHED AT S.E. 8TH & WILLIAMS STREET.
1922 AMARILLO HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 1200 S. POLK STREET.
1923 AMERICAN SMELTING AND REFINING COMPANY LOCATED IN AMARILLO.
1925 AMARILLO SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA WAS ORGANIZED.
1925 AMERICAN NATIONAL BANK WAS ORGANIZED.
1926 FURR FOOD STORES WERE ESTABLISHED.
1926 AN OIL BOOM MADE AMARILLO THE BUSINESS CENTER FOR THE TEXAS PANHANDLE.
1926 WOLFLIN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AS ESTABLISHED AT 2100 S. HUGHES STREET.
1926 SAN JACINTO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ORGANIZED AT 400 S. CAROLINA STREET.
1926 COL. C.T. HERRING BUILT THE HERRING HOTEL.
1927 HUMPHREY’S HIGHLAND ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 1300 S. DALLAS DRIVE.
1927 SUMMIT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 901 N. FLORIDA STREET.
1927 RIVER ROAD SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT RIVER ROAD & MOBLEY DRIVE.
1928 SEARS AND ROEBUCK OPENED A STORE HERE.
1928 MONTGOMERY WARD OPENED A STORE HERE.
1928 ENGLISH AIRPORT WAS ESTABLISHED BY LEE BIVINS AND HAROLD ENGLISH.
1928 MARGARET WILLS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 3500 S. TAYLOR STREET.
1928 ALICE LANDERGIN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 3209 S. TAYLOR STREET.
1929 AMARILLO COLLEGE WAS FOUNDED.
1929 PANHANDLE AIR SERVICE AND TRANSPORTATION COMPANY WAS CREATED.
1930 POPULATION 43,132
1930 THOMPSON PARK WAS ESTABLISHED ON ONE SECTION OF LAND AT N.E. 24TH & FILMORE STREET; THE PARK WAS NAMED FOR COL. ERNEST O. THOMPSON.
1930 PLEASANT VALLEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 4415 RIVER ROAD.
1930 SAN JACINTO PARK WAS ESTABLISHED AT S.W. 2ND & LOUISIANA STREET.
1930  
1930 LEE BIVINS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AS ESTABLISHED AT 1500 S. FANNIN STREET.
1930 FREDERICK DOUGLASS ELEMNTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 103 S. JACKSON STREET.
1930 FOREST HILL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 3600 EAST 8TH AVENUE.
1930 DWIGHT MORROW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 1600 S. CLEVELAND STREET.
1930 SAM HOUSTON JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 800 FOREST STREET.
1931 THE AMARILLO CREDIT ASSOCIATION WAS FORMED.
1931 OLIVER EAKLE PARK LOCATED AT 28TH & POLK STREET WAS DEDICATED.
1932 POTTER COUNTY COURTHOUSE OPENED.
1932 AMARILLO BECAME A MAJOR CROSSROADS AS HIGHWAYS 60-66-287-87 WERE NAMED U.S. HIGHWAYS BY 1935.
1933 HAGY, HARRINGTON AND MARSH OIL COMPANY WAS FORMED.
1934 PALO DURO BECAME A STATE PARK.
1934 CAL FARLEY AND RALPH DYKEMAN FOUNDED THE MAVERICK BOYS CLUB.
1933 THE AMARILLO LIVESTOCK AUCTION WAS ESTABLISHED.
1934 APRIL 15 WAS CALLED “BLACK SUNDAY” FOR THE HUGE CLOUDS OF DUST THAT BLACKED OUT THE AMARILLO SKY.
1934 CAL FARLEY’S BOYS RANCH WAS FOUNDED.
1935 NOVEMBER 25TH, AMARILLO UNITS OF TEXAS NATIONAL GUARD, 36TH DIVISION WERE MOBILIZED FOR SERVICE IN WORLD WAR II.
1940 POPULATION 51,686
1940 EMERSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 700 N. LINCOLN STREET.
1942 SOUTHWESTERN PUBLIC SERVICE WAS ORGANIZED.
1942 AMARILLO ARMY AIRFIELD WAS ESTABLISHED.
1942 PANTEX ORDINANCE PLANT WAS OPENED.
1945 EL ALAMO PARK WAS ESTABLISHED AT S. E. 16TH & HOUSTON.
1946 AMARILLO AIR TERMINAL WAS ESTABLISHED.
1948 THE AMERICAN QUARTER HORSE ASSOCIATION MOVED TO AMARILLO.
1948 GEORGE WASHINGTON CARVER JUNIOR/SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 611 N. HUGHES STREET.
1948 DICK BIVINS STADIUM WAS ESTABLISHED AT 3301 E. 10TH AVENUE.
1948 NORTH HEIGHTS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 607 N. HUGHES ST.
1949 A TORNADO CROSSED AMARILLO CAUSING THREE MILLION DOLLARS OF PROPERTY DAMAGE AND THE LOSS OF SEVEN LIVES.
1950 THERE WERE 60 ORGANIZED CHURCHES IN AMARILLO.
1950 MEMORIAL PARK LOCATED AT 24TH & WASHINGTON WAS DEDICATED.
1950 POPULATION 74,246
1951 WONDERLAND AMUSEMENT PARK WAS FOUNDED AT THOMPSON PARK.
1951 PANTEX WAS SELECTED AS THE SITE FOR NUCLEAR WEAPON ASSEMBLY.
1951 STEPHEN F. AUSTIN JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 1808 WIMBERLY ROAD.
1951 LAMAR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 3800 S. LIPSCOMB ST.
1951 ROBERT E. LEE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 119 N.E. 15TH AVENUE.
1951 AVONDALE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 1500 AVONDALE STREET.
1953 CANADIAN RIVER MUNICIPAL AUTHORITY WAS FORMED.
1953 HILLTOP ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 1330 N. W. 18TH AVENUE.
1953 AMARILLO’S FIRST TV STATION, KGNC, WAS ESTABLISHED.
1954 PIONEER NATURAL GAS COMPANY WAS ORGANIZED.
1954 SUNRISE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 5123 E. 14TH AVENUE.
1954 SOUTH LAWN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 4719 S. BOWIE STREET.
1954 WHITTIER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 2004 N. MARRS STREET
1954 PALO DURO HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 1400 N. GRANT STREET
1955 CORONADO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 3210 WIMBERLY ROAD.
1955 JAMES BOWIE JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED 3001 E. 12TH AVENUE.
1956 PARAMOUNT TERRACE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 3906 W. 40TH AVENUE.
1956 LAWNDALE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 2215 S. BIVINS STREET.
1956 OLSEN PARK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 2409 ANNA STREET.
1957 TASCOSA HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 3921 WESTLAWN CIRCLE.
1957 JAMES W. FANNIN JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 4627 S. RUSK STREET
1958 WILLIAM B. TRAVIS JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 2815 MARTIN ROAD.
1958 A NEW GEORGE WASHINGTON CARVER JUNIOR/SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 1905 N.W. 12TH AVENUE.
1959 HAMLET ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 705 SYCAMORE STREET.
1960 OAK DALE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 2711 S. HILL STREET.
1960 DAVID CROCKETT JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 4720 FLOYD AVENUE.
1960 POPULATION 137,969.
1960 EASTRIDGE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 1314 EVERGREEN STREET.
1960 RIDGECREST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 5306 W. 37TH AVENUE.
1960 MESA VERDE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 4011 BEAVER DRIVE.
1960 SOUTH GEORGIA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 5018 SUSAN DRIVE.
1961 WESTERN PLATEAU ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 4927 SHAWNEE TRAIL.
1961 CAPROCK HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 3001 E. 34TH AVENUE.
1963 BELMAR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 6324 ADIRONDACK TRAIL.
1964 MESA PETROLEUM WAS ORGANIZED.
1964 WILLOW VISTA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 7600 PAVILLARD DRIVE.
1964 ROLLING HILLS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 2800 W. CHERRY AVENUE.
1965 ALIBATES FLINT QUARRY DECLARED A NATIONAL MONUMENT.
1965 AMARILLO MEDICAL COMPLEX WAS ORGANIZED.
1965 GENE HOWE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 5108 PICO BOULEVARD.
1965 SOUTHEAST REGIONAL PARK WAS DEVELOPED AT S. E. 46TH & OSAGE.
1965 MEDICAL CENTER PARK WAS DEVELOPED AT S.W. 9TH & WALLACE BOULEVARD.
1966 MUSICAL DRAMA “TEXAS” OPENED IN PALO DURO STATE PARK.
1967 JAMES B. BONHAM JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 5600 S.W. 49TH AVENUE.
1968 AMARILLO AIR FORCE BASE WAS CLOSED.
1968 THE TALLEST BUILDING, THE TEXAS AMERICAN BANK AND THE SOUTHWESTERN PUBLIC SERVICE TOWER, WAS BUILT AT 6TH & TYLER.
1968 INTERSTATE 40 HIGHWAY WAS DEDICATED.
1968 AMARILLO MEDICAL CENTER WAS ESTABLISHED.
1970 TEXAS STATE TECHNICAL INSTITUTE OPENED AT THE SITE OF THE OLD AIR BASE.
1970 AMARILLO HIGH SCHOOL AT 1200 S. POLK WAS DESTROYED BY FIRE.
1970 POPULATION 127,010
1971 MARTIN LAKE PARK WAS DEVELOPED AT N.E. 15TH & MIRROR.
1972 AMARILLO ART CENTER WAS OPENED.
1973 RIVER ROAD JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT RIVER ROAD & MOBLEY DRIVE.
1973 AMARILLO HIGH SCHOOL WAS REBUILT AT 4225 DANBURY DRIVE.
1974 SOUTHWEST REGIONAL PARK WAS DEVELOPED AT S.W. 48TH & BELL.
1975 THE DON HARRINGTON DISCOVERY CENTER-PLANETARIUM WAS ESTABLISHED.
1975 NINE BANKS WERE OPERATING IN AMARILLO.
1976 AMARILLO AIR TERMINAL WAS DESIGNATED AN INTERNATIONAL PORT OF ENTRY.
1977 PUCKETT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 6700 OAKHURST DRIVE.
1977 SUNDOWN LANE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 4715 SUNDOWN LANE.
1978 RIVER ROAD JUNIOR/SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT RIVER ROAD. & MOBLEY DR.
1979 BUSHLAND INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT WAS ESTABLISHED.
1979 HIGHLAND PARK INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT WAS ESTABLISHED.
1980 POPULATION 149,230
1980 SLEEPY HOLLOW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 3433 REEDER DRIVE.
1982 WINDSOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AS ESTABLISHED AT 6700 HYDE PARKWAY.
1983 VALLEYVIEW JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 9000 VALLEYVIEW DRIVE.
1985 FALLING OIL PRICES STAGGERED THE LOCAL ECONOMY.
1985 HIGHLAND PARK HIGH SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT HIGHWAY 60 & FM 1912.
1986 THE UNEMPLOYMENT FIGURES HIT AN ALL TIME HIGH OF 7.9%.
1986 INTERSTATE HIGHWAY 27 WAS DEDICATED.
1986 POPULATION 159,600
1987 ARDEN ROAD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED AT 6801 LEARNING TREE AVE.
1987 POPULATION 160,380
1987 ORGANIZATIONS AND CITIZENS BEGAN A YEAR OF PROJECTS AND EVENTS TO CELEBRATE THE AMARILLO CENTENNIAL.