OPERATING PROCEDURE NUMBER 18 – AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT (ADA)
The City of Amarillo does not and will not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities on the basis of disability in the City’s services, programs, or employment practices. This applies equally to City employees, individuals seeking City employment, and to members of the public who are accessing City services or programs. Employees should be aware of this policy and should be committed to its continued implementation.
Important ADA-related items:
- City facilities are ADA-accessible. If an individual with a disability has difficulty in accessing a City facility, employees will make every reasonable effort to bring the requested service, program or information to the individual.
- All meetings of the City, its Boards and Commissions that are required to be public meetings shall be held only in ADA-accessible facilities.
- The City shall provide appropriate auxiliary aids and services when requested to ensure that individuals with disabilities are able to meaningfully participate in City programs, services, or activities.
- The City of Amarillo is fully TDD-accessible through the main TDD number, 806/378-4229. Individual departments may have access to specific TDD devices. In these instances, employees should be aware of the availability of these TDD’s.
- The City of Amarillo contracts with the Texas Panhandle Council for the Deaf for American Sign Language (ASL) interpretative services. The Council for the Deaf can be reached at 806/359-1506.
- The City of Amarillo does not place any form or type of surcharge on a particular individual or group of individuals to cover the cost of providing auxiliary aids/services.
- In all instances involving individuals with disabilities, City staff shall ensure that all reasonable accommodations are made to ensure that individuals with disabilities are able to meaningfully participate in City programs, services, or activities.
- The City of Amarillo has adopted the required Americans with Disabilities Act Policy Statement. This policy is available for public review on the City’s internet site and for employee use on the City’s intranet site. This document is also posted on City bulletin boards within the various departments.
- The City of Amarillo has a formal Grievance Policy concerning potential violations regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act. This policy is available for public review on the City’s internet site and for employee use on the City’s intranet site. This document is also posted on City bulletin boards within the various departments.
- The City of Amarillo has appointed an ADA Coordinator for addressing any questions, comments, concerns or potential grievances involving the Americans with Disabilities Act. This designated employee is identified in the City’s Grievance Policy along with the necessary contact information.