Grease from your Kitchen can cause major problem in the wastewater collection system
- Never pour fat, oils and grease down the drain. Not even with hot water!!!
- Put used fat, oil and grease in a foil lined bag or used cans and throw away in the trash.
- Scrape food from dishes into the trash or garbage bags.
- Avoid using the garbage disposal:
- Peel potatoes into a trash can.
- Use a screen to catch food while rinsing dishware and empty into the trash can.
- Wipe grease from pots, pans and dishes with a dry paper towel before rinsing or washing them.
- Avoid putting any type of food down the drain.
Why should I help keep FOG’s out of the system?
- FOG’s accumulate inside sewer pipes and can cause back up into homes and businesses.
- Home owners can avoid expensive costs of calling plumbers to clean their lines.
Last year, the Wastewater Collection Department responded to 107 grease related sewer backups.