Your traffic ticket will be dismissed upon successful completion of a Driver Safety Course. A 90-day court extension will be granted to provide enough time to take this course. Further extensions will not be granted by the Court. Please carefully read and follow the instructions contained in this document before proceeding further.
- All court costs, plus a ten dollar ($10.00) administration fee, must be paid to the Court prior to the extension being granted. The fee is non-refundable and cannot be applied to any fine assessed if the course is not successfully completed. Court costs will vary depending on the charge.
- Only courses approved under the Texas Propriety School Act may be taken.
- You must have a valid Texas driver’s license for the Court to accept the course.
- You must provide proof of valid financial responsibility at the time of the violation.
- Violations for speeding in excess of 24 m.p.h. over the speed limit are not eligible for dismissal.
- Holders of a commercial driver’s license are not eligible to take a Driver Safety course regardless of whether the offense occurred in a private vehicle.
- To be eligible for this program a plea of “Nolo Contendere” or “Guilty” must entered to the charge.
- A fee of $10 (money order or cashier’s check) and the completed “APPLICATION FOR COPY OF DRIVER RECORD” must be sent to the Texas Department of Public Safety to obtain a certified copy of your Texas driving record within ninety (90) days from the date the Court approves the request to take the test. The court cannot dismiss your traffic ticket without this certified copy of your driving record. In addition, the Court will not accept the Driver Safety Course if your driving record shows you have taken this course within the last twelve (12) months.
You must complete the Drivers Safety Course within ninety (90) days from the date the Court approves the request to take the test and return the Course Completion Certificate and certified copy of your driving record to the court by the end of the 90-day period shown on the cover of this information packet.
You may mail the signed Course Completion Certificate (Court’s copy) and the certified copy of your driving record to: Municipal Court, P.O. Box 1366, Amarillo, Texas 79105 or bring it in person to the cashier’s window at the Municipal Court. Office hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday and Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.. The Court assumes no responsibility for delayed, lost, misdirected, incomplete, or postage-due mail.
You will be notified by mail if the Court cannot accept your Course Completion because of either your failure to submit a certified driving record or if your driving record shows you are not eligible to use the course to dismiss your ticket. If you fail to comply with the conditions set forth herein at the conclusion of the 90-day extension period, you will be summoned to show cause as to why you have not completed the Drivers Safety Course requirements.