Minimum Requirements for Re-Roofing Projects
- Permits are required for all roofing projects, residential roofing permits are $50.00.
- Permit NUMBER must be posted and clearly visible from street.
- Drip Edge is required on all asphalt shingled roofing projects.
- Single station Carbon Monoxide alarms are required in existing dwellings that have attached garages or in existing dwellings which fuel-fired appliances exist.
- Proper attic ventilation: 1/150th ventilation of the area of the vented space requiring ventilation. (i.e. 1800sf of attic area requires a minimum of 12 square feet of ventilation) Ventilation may be reduced to 1/300th when an equal amount of soffit and upper ventilation exists.
- New roof coverings shall not be installed without first removing all existing layers of roof coverings: (see exceptions for complete and separate metal roofing systems 2012 IRC)
- Damaged, rusted, or deteriorated roof vents and flashings shall be replaced.
- Chimney crickets are required on all chimneys greater than 30 inches in width.
- Proper termination for all exhaust vents penetrating through roof:
- Exhaust vents shall have dampers and screen (clothes dryer vents shall be without screen)
- Fuel fired appliances shall have approved/listed termination caps as required by manufacturer
- Wood shakes and shingles shall only be used on solid sheathing. (R905.8, as amended)
- Wood shakes and shingles material will be a minimum Grade 1 as graded per the Cedar Shake and Shingle Bureau.
- Roofs shall be sloped as required for drainage unless designed for water accumulation.
- Any person or business performing contracting work within the city limits is required to register as a contractor.
- Inspection personnel will be on patrol for unregistered/unlicensed individuals performing work without permits;
- Fee for work being performed without a permit:
- $250.00 First occurrence plus the cost of the normal permit fee
- $500.00 for each additional occurrence plus triple the required permit fee
CALL or TEXT the PERMIT HOTLINE (806) 336-0605 to report work being performed without permits.
Please Contact the City of Amarillo Department of Building Safety if there are questions or if assistance is needed (806) 378-3041.
This is a partial list of the basic requirements for re-roofing projects. It is intended to aid contractors, suppliers, insurance adjusters, and homeowners with the more significant roofing questions. For a more comprehensive list of requirements, visit our website: www.Amarillo.gov/roofing.