As part of Texas Severe Weather Awareness Week, the Amarillo/Potter/Randall Office of Emergency Management (OEM) and the National Weather Service (NWS) in Amarillo will conduct a mock tornado drill on Wednesday, March 6 at 10 a.m. Local businesses, organizations, schools and families are urged to take advantage of this opportunity to practice protective actions in the event of a large tornado.
The purpose of the drill is to:
- Determine the effectiveness of the warning information system.
- Ensure employees, students and families know what to do and where to go during an alert.
- Determine where you will go to be safe when you hear an alert and evaluate issues like congestion/cluster areas and test employee/student/family accountability procedures.
Everyone is invited to participate in this drill to determine the effectiveness of their preparedness plan. The Amarillo/Potter/Randall Emergency Operations Center (EOC), City of Amarillo, Potter County, and Randall County will participate in the drill and encourage others in the community to do the same. Below is an outline for the actions that will take place on Wednesday, March 6:
9 a.m. OEM Weather Watch Activation
- EOC personnel will be activated
- OEM spotters will report for mock tornado spotting, test reporting and communication procedures
- EOC personnel will make normal Weather Watch notifications to Amarillo, Potter, Randall emergency dispatches and key city/county facilities and personnel
10a.m. Mock Tornado Warning Issued by NWS
- NOAA Weather Radios will display the Mock Tornado Warning (Note: There will be NO EAS tones activated
- Media may activate normal tornado warnings
- EOC personnel will make normal Warning Notifications to Amarillo, Potter, Randall emergency dispatches, media, and key city/county facilities and personnel
- OEM will activate the Suddenlink Cable Cut In
NOTE: There will be NO Outdoor Warning Siren activation. In a real Tornado Warning situation, all sirens would activate for a steady 5 minutes. No all-clear siren activation is given.
10:15 a.m. Drill Over