Amarillo, TX – When you enter a house or building, do you stop and wonder if it is safe? Fortunately, your city employees work hard to ensure that the buildings you enter every day are properly constructed in accordance with building and fire codes. To help raise awareness of building safety, the City of Amarillo proudly celebrates May as Building Safety Month.
“When building safety and fire prevention professionals inspect buildings during and after construction, we help to ensure that the places where you live, learn, work, worship and play are safe,” said Scott McDonald, Amarillo’s building official.
During Building Safety Month, the City of Amarillo’s Building Safety department will host an Open House each Tuesday in room 105 of City Hall. Refreshments will be provided. There will also be displays in the lobby of City Hall dedicated to Building Safety awareness.
The City of Amarillo will partner with community businesses and organizations to highlight different aspects of building safety each week:
- Week of May 7: Energy and Green Building
- Week of May 14: Disaster Safety and Mitigation
- Week of May 21: Fire Safety and Awareness
- Week of May 28: Backyard Safety
An art contest involving area elementary schools will be sponsored by the local chapter of Associated General Contractors (AGC) and USAA which is a Texas-based and Texas Department of Insurance regulated insurance provider.
Tuesday, May 1
- Proclamation by the Amarillo City Commission declaring May as Building Safety Month
Thursdays in May
- Elementary school activities with prizes and a Pizza Party for the winning class for each campus sponsored by AGC and USAA
Saturday, May 12
- Pride Home Center, 3503 NE 24th Ave, is partnering with Building Safety and other community organizations to provide information and activities for the whole family from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Activities include free bird house kits for children, workshops and a cookout will be provided. The Amarillo Fire Department’s Safe House and a fire truck will be featured.
Saturday, May 19
- Sutherlands Lumber, 4717 S Washington, is partnering with Building Safety and other Community organizations to provide information and activities for the whole family from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Activities include free bird house kits for children, workshops and a cookout will be provided. The Amarillo Fire Department’s Safe House and a fire truck will be featured.
More events are being developed for this celebration and information will be provided as it becomes available. Community partners participating in Building Safety Month include Xcel Energy, Atmos Energy, AISD, MMM Plumbing Heating & Air, A & R Mechanical Service, Texas Panhandle Roofers Association, Texas Panhandle Builders Association and many more. Building Safety Month is sponsored nationwide by a non‐profit subsidiary of the Code Council.
For more information on Building Safety, visit http://www.amarillo.gov/?page_id=95.